of Psychiatry is one of the oldest and the largest departments in the country, started with
erstwhile All India Institute of Mental Health (1954 -1974).
- To provide leadership in the country for the development of Mental Health Services at various
levels (from grass root to international level).
- To impart training of professionals and non-professionals in the field of Mental Health (awareness
to research level).
- To develop programs and service models in Mental Health Care at various levels.
- To develop specialized training programs in various areas of interest like Child Mental Health,
Community Mental Health, Family Mental Health, Deaddiction and Psychotherapy.
- To conduct continuing medical education programs.
- To extend services to both community oriented and community based services including non-psychiatric
disorders, half-way homes and elderly persons.
- To focus the work in the areas of Psychiatric Epidemiology, Psychiatric Classification and other
areas related to major mental disorders.
- To develop national and international collaborations for research group.
- To develop health education materials to both professionals and non-professionals in the field of
Out-patient services [link], centralized services for Modified
Electroconvulsive therapy, EEG, Intensive Care facilities, Walk-in-clinic for diagnostic screening,
Family Psychiatry Centre [Link], Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Centre [Link], Mental Retardation Clinic, Community Mental Health
Services, De-addiction Centre [Link], Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Centre, Consultation-Liasion Psychiatry, Neuro-psychiatric Extension Clinics
at five centres and Special Clinics related to Schizophrenia, Obsessive-Compulsive
disorders [Link], Metabolic Disorders, Geriatric
Psychiatry [Link], Perinatal Psychiatry
[Link] and Tobacco Cessation Clinic. (Please see
Psychiatry Inpatient and Outpatient Clinical services)
The training programs are carried out at the Unit level, Department level and also interdepartmental
level. Training is not only imparted to undergraduate and post-graduate trainees of other departments
of the Institute, but also to trainees from other medical colleges and institutes.