Dr. P. Satish Chandra is the Director/Vice-Chancellor of
National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India. His strenuous efforts coupled with significant
developments, since he assumed the charge as the Director in June 2010, helped NIMHANS achieve the status of “Institute of
National Importance” by an act of Parliament in September 2012.
He joined NIMHANS as a faculty member in the Department of Neurology soon after obtaining DM (Neurology) from the same Institute in
1981. Since then, he has been serving the department and the Institute in various academic capacities, and is currently working as
Senior Professor of Neurology.
During his career, he has been granted several prestigious fellowships, including the ‘International Neuro-Sciences Fellowship’ at
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, USA for one year,
sponsored by WHO-Fogarty-NIH—where he worked on Neuro-epidemiology and Epilepsy. He has also secured Senior Visiting Fellowship at
'Raymond Way Research Group’ at the Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, UK for six months (November 1999-2000)
Prof. Satish Chandra’s fields of interest encompass Epilepsy, Electroencephalography and Evoked Potentials, Neuroepidemiology and
Neuro Infections including Neuro-AIDS. He has conducted original research in various aspects of Epilepsy including “Hot Water
Epilepsy” and in the area of Neuro-AIDS, which has been recognized nationally and internationally. He has been the Principal
Investigator of research on “Longitudinal Neurological Progression of HIV 1& HIV 2”, a prestigious RO-1 grant from NIH, USA.
Designing/development of ‘Comprehensive Epilepsy Surgery’ programme at NIMHANS forms another notable feat.
Community Welfare Programme
In the area of Community Neurology, he initiated the ‘Epilepsy Control Programme’ in India and conducted 10 workshops with the
support of WHO–SEARO, New Delhi. Over the years, he has been actively involved in creating awareness about epilepsy and removing the
stigma of epilepsy among lay public, students and school teachers through various programmes under the aegis of the Indian Epilepsy
He has 211 publications to his credit including 164 journal contributions (National & International), 43 chapters in books/
monographs. He has also edited seven monographs including ‘Epilepsy’ and one on ‘Techniques in Neuro Sciences’.
Awards & Prizes
Prof. Satish Chandra has received several awards and honours for his research and service initiatives. Prominent among these
- ‘Asia Oceanian Outstanding Achievement Award in Epilepsy’ from the Commission on Asia Oceanian Affairs, ILAE at the 8th Asia
Oceanian Epiliepsy Congress, Melbourne, Australia, in 2010 for his outstanding contributions to the field of Epilepsy in this
- ‘Sir C.V. Raman Young Scientist Award’ by the Government of Karnataka in 1997, in recognition of the contribution to the
field of medical science.
- The prestigious ‘Amruth Mody Unichem Prize’ for Neurology (outstanding research in Epilepsy) from Indian Council of Medical
Research (ICMR), New Delhi in 1998.
- Hindustan Ciba Geigy-Gold Medal for his research paper on Epilepsy in two consecutive annual conferences (1991 and 1993) of
NSI; and best research paper awards during Annual Conferences (1996, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2012) of Indian Academy of Neurology (IAN).
Bagged awards in Epilepsy Conference (ECON) in 2004 at Lucknow and in 2005 at Jaipur.
- Paper selected for ‘Young Investigator Award’ at the International Epilepsy Congress, Oslo, Norway in 1993.
- Dr. BC Roy Doctors Day Award by IMA-CGHS, Bangalore, July 2003
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Neurology (FIAN)- 1998
- Fellow of Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS) by the National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, in 2003