Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences is a multidisciplinary Institute for patient care
and academic pursuit in the frontier area of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences. The Lunatic
Asylum which came into being in the latter part of the 19th Century was renamed as Mental
Hospital in 1925 by the erstwhile Government of Mysore. This hospital and All India Institute of
Mental Health established in 1954 by Government of India were amalgamated on 27th December 1974,
and thus was formed the autonomous National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS). The
priority gradiant adopted at the Institute is service, manpower development and research.
Multidisciplinary integrated approach is the mainstay of this institute, paving the way
to translate the results from the bench to the bedside. On November 14, 1994, NIMHANS has been declared
a Deemed University by the University Grants Commission, with academic autonomy. The Institute functions
under the direction of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India and Ministry of Health and
Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka. Several National and International funding organisations
provide resources for research.
The Mission Statement
The Mission Statement:
- Evolve strategies to offer diagnostic and therapeutic facilities to all corners of India in the
field of Mental Health and Neurosciences utilizing the advances in information technology and
to be the nodal center.
- Establish training facilities and impart knowledge in the field of Mental health and
Neurosciences to all the developing countries by Institutional and Distance Learning.
- Establish state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic facilities in neurological
disorders with special reference to genetically transmitted disorders and vaccinology of tropical
infectious diseases and be the nodal center for the Country in Research and Development.
- Develop strategies for Disaster Management and Psychological Rehabilitation.
- Integrate physical and metaphysical aspects of Neuroscience Research.
- Participate in Neuroscience and Behavioural Research related to Space, Atomic energy and
- Be part of world leadership in the field of Neuroscience and Behavioural science.